Take the Pie in the Eye Challenge!
Take a Pie in the Eye for the team: challenge your friends and family to either buy a pie or get pie-d in the face for Mama. Take a quick video (your smartphone makes it easy!) of you getting pie-d and post it on social media, asking your friends to do the same. (Don't forget to tag Mama's Kitchen.) Let them know that each pie sold provides eight nutritious meals for someone battling AIDS or cancer. Let's spread the word and help Mama continue to provide hundreds of thousands of meals each year to those in need.
Here's our Just Call Us Volunteers Pecan Pie recipe:
Just Call Us Volunteers
1Pie Crust – Par Baked
1 Cup brown sugar
¼ Cup granulated sugar
½ Cup melted butter
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 T All Purpose Flour
1 Cup pecans
Preheat the oven to 350ÚF .
- Par-bake ready made pie shells and let cool slightly.
- Spread 1 cup (4 oz) pecans evenly over the bottom of each crust.
- In a stand mixer (30 qt) fitted with a whisk attachment, mix the sugars, flour and melted butter on 1st speed until thoroughly combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the mixer occasionally.
- Slowly add the eggs, milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the pecans into the pre-baked pie shell (14 oz volume of liquid per pie).
- Bake in the oven at 350ÚF for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is set and does not jiggle in the center.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature
- Blind bake the pie crusts the day before
- Use at least 1 cup (4 oz) chopped pecans per pie and spread evenly on the bottom.