Mama’s Kitchen’s Pie in the Sky Bake Sale Sells Thanksgiving Pies from October 6th through November 23rd.
Each November since 2005, dozens of San Diego restaurants, bakeries, and caterers donate thousands of pies that volunteers then sell to family, friends and colleagues. Delicious apple, pumpkin, pecan and crunchy Dutch apple pies cost $25 each ($15 is tax deductible), providing over eight hearty home-delivered meals to a Mama’s Kitchen client and a tasty Thanksgiving dessert to the buyer.
Corporate donors provide financial support and donations of in-kind services. Thanks to the dedication and generosity of our pie sellers and volunteers, all proceeds of the Pie in the Sky bake sale go directly to the daily operations of Mama’s Kitchen.
Rest assured, when you support Mama’s Kitchen through Pie in the Sky, your contribution goes directly to our neighbors in greatest need -- homebound individuals and families struggling with life-threatening illnesses, such as AIDS or cancer, who are too sick to shop or cook for themselves.
Here is how you -- the community -- make Pie in the Sky happen:
- Dozens of Bakers throughout San Diego County bake and donate thousands of apple, pumpkin, pecan and Dutch apple pies.
- Volunteer Pie Sellers take orders from their family, friends and coworkers in the weeks before Thanksgiving. Buyers can also buy pies or donate to Mama’s Kitchen by visiting mamaspies.org.
- Volunteers gather at Pie Central (Mama’s Kitchen) for our annual "Box Party" to label 5,000 pie boxes in just 3 hours. Volunteers then head out to deliver bundles of pie boxes and pie tins to each of our many bakers.
- The donated pies are picked up from pie bakers across San Diego and delivered to "Pie Central" – Mama’s Kitchen.
- Pies are then shipped to over 20 public pick up sites in San Diego and the surrounding suburbs. Happy pie buyers retrieve their pies on the day before Thanksgiving at their preselected pick up location.
- Pie Buyers enjoy their Thanksgiving celebrations. Thanks to their generosity, Mama’s Kitchen's clients sit down to lovingly prepared homestyle meals -- on Thanksgiving and every day of the year.
Mama’s Kitchen is the only organization that prepares and delivers free nutritious home-cooked meals for every day of the year throughout San Diego County to men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer.